Sunday, December 21, 2008

Enemies are forgiven, friends remembered, and God obeyed


So I was asked to talk today to the Relief Society on a quote given by President David O. McKay, "Enemies are forgiven, friends remembered, and God obeyed". For those of you that know me, you know that doing anything in front of an audience, especially speaking or playing a musical instrument, is the worst thing that could happen to me! So needless to say, I was completely out of my element when I stood before the Relief Society and Young Women who were invited to attend today as well. I really tried to avoid Marti when she kept calling me. Anytime anyone from church with higher authority persistently tries to reach me, I know nothing good can come of it! But for some reason at the ward Christmas party, my conscience got the better of me (which doesn't happen very often) and I approached Marti to ask "how can I help?" She quickly explained what she would like me to do, and with much hesitation I agreed. The first thing that came to my mind when I heard this quote was Clark. It seems his memory is a little more present through the holiday season, but this opportunity to speak today brought everything right to the surface like it was yesterday. I was so overcome with emotion, that what seemed to already be an impossible task, became almost unbearable. I stuttered through my quivering lip and tear soaked eyes to try to relay the message that was so fresh in my mind. I hate to say this, but I am thankful for the opportunity I was given today. I am thankful for Clark and for the memories that I hold of him in my heart. Even more so, am I thankful to a loving and forgiving Father in Heaven who sent his Son, the Redeemer and Savior of the World. I am thankful that today I could take time to pause and truly remember what this Christmas season is really about. To forget the hustle and bustle of traffic, ridiculously long checkout lines, and impatient shoppers and remember the sacrifice that was so selflessly given to me. I am thankful for the gift of my Eternal family and wait for the day when we all reunite in the presence of the Lord.

4 comments:

alana said...

Sara .. I was really touched yesterday in RS as I listened to you talk of Clark. I don't think there was a dry eye in the room ... I know tears wouldn't stop falling as I listened to you. Thank you for agreeing to do that because I know I am a better person through your shared testimony. I am so glad you are a treasured friend. Love you!

the blacks said...

Sara- you are the best! I am emotional as it is and I didn't even hear your talk but this is my favorite picture of Clark. I miss him a lot these days and am grateful that others feel the same. I'm sure you did great and will be asked again in the near future! Love and miss you guys. P.S. will you email me this picture? Kami

korie said...

Hey. Sorry I wasn't there to support you in this. It sounds like you did a great job. Miss ya. Merry Christmas.

Mansell Six said...

I'm so glad you left a message on my blog!! I love your blog! I loved that story!! I cried telling my entire family about it as well.