Friday, August 28, 2009


So, I have a sister. Well, a half sister actually. Even some of my closest friends do not know this little known fact about me. It’s been a long time since I have seen her, about sixteen years, give or take. She found me on facebook, go figure! I was happy to hear from her, although a little unsure of why she would contact me now? I have very few memories of her. One of the most memorable is when I stole her stationary and stickers! Good memory huh? I do remember driving her to the airport of her last visit. What happened after that, I am not sure. I was young and unconcerned. But, for whatever reason, myself and those in my immediate family have not spoken to or seen her since.

On Monday we talked. After several days of phone tag, we finally connected. I was nervous…very nervous. What do you say to someone you don’t really know? There were moments of silence, awkward silence. I would probably best describe the conversation as one you would have with a new neighbor. You know, the basics…Where are you from? How many kids do you have? Where does your husband work? Those questions equally important, yet I couldn’t stop the thought of asking why she left? Or why she didn’t concern herself enough to find me before now? Or more importantly, to justify my Dad…OUR Dad. My nerves ceased and the thoughts disappeared. Those questions will have to wait for another day, another phone call perhaps. For now, I am content with the basics.

Its funny how after sixteen years time, a 60 minute phone call brings family into perspective. I am truly grateful for my parents and for my brother. I appreciate that I know them for who they are, strength and weakness, and love them regardless. I hope to appreciate this new relationship with part of my past, a new friendship.

I will start there.

2 comments:

Alyssa said...

I think you're right, you have to take small steps-- it took a lot of years to get to this point. I also think it's great to keep everything in perspective-- who is important and valuable in your life, and always has been. Those are the people to keep close to you.

HaleighGoett said...

another WOW! YOur rght this friend didn't know. hope everything goes well with that! Maybe she needs you now! PS ;ove the pitcure of the kids! Makes me want to have more! Oh my did I just say that>!>!>